PupStyle.com Founder, Dara Foster chats with Pittsburg Magazine about the growing nationwide trend of home owners & pet parents custom designing and remodeling their homes to be pet friendly. Check out the article below!
“The Johnsons and their home are part of a larger trend emerging nationwide, says Dara Foster, pet stylist, contributor to NBC’s “Today” and other TV shows and founder of PupStyle.com. The move toward more pet-friendly home design is linked to a cultural shift occurring over the last few years, she says. “We used to call ourselves ‘pet owners.’ Now, it’s ‘pet parents,’” Foster says. “It’s a full-on lifestyle. We treat them like children.”
“As the trend of catering to pets through home design continues to grow, Foster expects even more creative options to emerge.
“This is just the tip of the iceberg,” she says. “It’s just getting bigger and more lavish by the minute.”
So what to do with that old wine barrel you picked up at a flea market years ago and it’s been collecting dust in the basement? Keep using it as an end table or flower pot? Nah, Rock Creek Furniture Company at Etsy.com came up with a really smart DIY idea that you can try yourself or buy from them.
Beautifully , aged reclaimed wine barrels are turned into stylish dog beds and feeders that you can’t find at a mass retailer. This Colorado based company uses barrels from reclaimed American or French oak which are carefully reinforced, sanded and and sprayed with a high-quality clear finish for a lasting product.
You can change the feeling of the bed easily by experimenting with different fabrics for the cushion. Plaids will give this a classic country look while bold modern prints make it edgy and cool.
A reversible cushion with fleece on one side is a great way to add warmth for winter.
This can be yours for the same price as a case of vintage vino-$250 plus shipping.
PupStyle parents know spring is ideal for starting the dream “pet home-improvement” project you’ve thinking about all winter long. Whether it’s building space-saving, custom kitchen drawers with pet feeders built in or a dream dog house, HomeAdvisor.com can match you up with the right contractor to make your “pet project” a reality.
HomeAdvisor.com knows all about dog houses, especially being #inthedoghouse! Their recent TV commercial is responsible for making dogs bark when they hear a doorbell and owners wishing for ear plugs.
HomeAdvisor.comwould like to make up for the inconvenience by donatingto Adopt-A-Pet.com. By simply clicking the donate button on theirdonation page (accessed through link below), you are helping millions of dogs find their forever homes.
Please pay it forward by sharing this link and sharing a photo of your pup on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #inthedoghouse. HomeAdvisor.com will give them another dollar if you do. Just think of how much money can be donated to help homeless animals find forever homes just by a click #inthedoghouse!
A form of camping involving accommodation and facilities more luxurious than those associated with traditional camping:glamping is likely to satisfy any city slicker seeking a little refuge in nature—without foregoing any of life’s luxuries
Glamping is quickly becoming the hottest new summer travel trend and sweeping across the globe. It’s no secret that people have been camping with their dogs for years, but finally you can Glamp with your dog in total luxury.
No more fretting over ruining your dogs grooming or brining ugly camping supplies along that will just kill your Glamp vibe. Now, there are plenty of pet friendly Glamping destinations and luxury gear for the pampered pup. This is the PupStyle way after all!
1. Choose your destination:
Visit Yellow Stone National Park and stay at Yellow Stone Under Canvas http://www.mtundercanvas.com/glamping.html which offers a huge variety of BEAUTIFUL Glamping tents and is pet friendly! Prices can vary in the hundreds of dollars per night range depending on which accommodations you choose. $25 pet fee.
There are tons pet friendly Glamping spots all across the country and a quick google search can lead the way to more options.
WHAT TO BRING?
4 ESSENTIALS Pieces every dog Glamper must have!!!
1. Dog Carrier: You are going to need a way safely contain your fur baby at times when traveling and Petote’s Lux Rio Bag in ivory does triple duty as a roller carrier, car seat and back pack! $250
2. Travel Bed: Crypton makes a glam yet sturdy travel bed IDEAL for Glamping with your pooch. Beautiful fabrics that are super man strength combined with easy packing design. Use this in both your car and your Glamping destination. Travel Bed Of Roses is- stain, moisture and odor resistant with GreenGuard certified fabric.
3. Travel Throw blanket-Cryton makes a pretty yet outdoorsy throw blanket will be your life saver on a Glamping trip. Use it as a pick-nick blanket, beach blanket throw to cover up your car seats to keep them clean. This will come handy in more ways that you can imagine. Stain, moisture and odor resistant $99.
4. Travel Food & Water Bowls: Sleepy Pod recently launched a BRILLIANT and BEAUTIFUL travel food and bowl set. The Yummy Travel Bowls is a model three-in-one product that that allows a pet owner to store, transport, and serve pet food and water simultaneously, without mixing or spillage of the contents. All in PupStyle $39.99
PupStyle your dog’s dining area with these modern cut-metal framed dog bowls inspired by infamous Art Deco designer Joseph Hoffman best known for his Club arm chairs in 1910. These Removable ivory-white enameled cut-metal frame has a bone-china bowl insert for easy cleaning. These beautiful bowls have a broad aesthetic appeal that you can mix and match with a modern, contemporary or even traditional kitchen. These are mean to be a home furnishings accessory to be admired and not hidden in the dark corner of the kitchen. Small $60, Large $80. http://shop.neuegalerie.org/collections/department-hund/products/hoffmann-gitterwerk-bowl-1
At PupStyle HQ Halloween we always look forward to fall and one of our fav dog holiday’s of the year…HALLOWEEN!
Chocolate is a big no, no for dogs so serve up some healthy dog biscuits or treats in this candy corn looking ModaPet Bowl. Extremely durable with a non-slip base. Many styles and colors to choose from for Halloween or anytime of the year. Microwave & dishwasher safe $24.95.
I’m a little obsessed with JCP right now. Not only do thier stores look amazing but they keep suprising us at every turn. Happy Chic by Jonathan Adler fuses colorful patterns, great design and quality at affordable prices in a glamorous new collection that mixes classic design and current trends.
Part of that collection are these adorable dog bowls and treat jars. A must have for the ” Happy and Chic ” pet owner!
Global Pet Expo is the largest pet product trade show in the country! It’s that time of year again when I spend countless hours sifting through pet products like a sugar junkie in a candy store. The market is rapidly expanding as we weave pets into our every day lifestyle just like two legged children.
I’ve put my trend spotty glasses on, and narrowed it down to 5 key trends to watch you should watch out for in 2013-14.
Top 5 Pet Product Trends From Global Pet Expo 2013
1. Upcycling-Taking recycled products or vintage materials and turning them into something completely new and unique. We found everything from upcycled dog bowls to dog sweaters. Let your “green” imagination go wild and be creative!
2. Prints-Prints, prints, prints and more graphic prints are taking center stage in the pet market especially in the pet home interior space. We spotted amazing prints on everything from dog beds to treat jars. Add a bold a printed bed or treat jar for added color and texture to your home.
3. Green Planet-Designers are experimenting with innovative materials like rice starch to make beautiful eco friendly pet bowls to pet poo-pick up bags that are biodegradable with out any sunlight!
4. Silk Screen Toys-Slik screen photo realistic pictures are showing up on plus toys in all sizes and themes. Your pooch play with a New York taxi cab or chew on Snoop Dog (sorry Snoop) like a steak bone.
5. Giving Back-A vast amount of pet product designers and premium pet food companies are making “giving back” to small and local animal rescue groups a priority in their business models. It’s a new movement away from the usual national pet charities most folks know about.